Thread: Very impressive!

Default Very impressive!

Hello,
    I spent this weekend trying out latest beta for Maya and want to say that I'm quite impress by quality and speed of iray plugin. In a beginning I was surprise that native Maya shaders like lambert, blinn, etc is not supported and I have to use only MDLs from library or BSDFs. Well thats not really flexible but manageable situation. Anyway, What I love is pretty straight forward render settings and speed is just incredible. At list with my hardware
    I recreate all shaders in this my old scene I've done a while ago Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chessiray.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	798.2 KB 
ID:	10874 took me like an hour or something and just in 4 minutes 4K render was done. I used optix denoiser to get rid of little noise what was left.
    And now I have a lot questions and I can't find any tutorials on iray for maya. How to use displacement or rounded corners, etc There is nothing really in docs about how to do it just descritions.
    So would be great if someone can point me where I can learn more or just explain me all this things.
    Thank so much to the team for the great job they are doing!

Hi shrisha!

Nice image!

Displacement mapping and rounded corners can be added using the node ifmGeometryModifier (user guide 14.4.4). The ifmGeometryModifier adds the controls for geometric manipulations of the object surface to the connected material. While rounded corners just need to be setup here, displacement mapping requires adjustments in the shape node as well. You find these attributes in the Iray subsection Displacement (user guide 8.4).

Thank you Thomas!
    I still can't figure it out with displacement. If you could show the node tree how it suppose to be. I did simple scene, here is a link https://mega.nz/file/8UoRTbRB#vs28Zl...SJs6aBB8NdGPAQ Could you please tell me what is wrong there. Round corners working perfectly but displacement not. I can see that geometry is just getting higher but not displaced according to map I applied.
    Thank you
    Last edited by shrisha; 4th May, 2020 at 11:58.

I would very appreciate if someone could answer.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shrisha View Post
    I still can't figure it out with displacement. If you could show the node tree how it suppose to be. I did simple scene, here is a link https://mega.nz/file/8UoRTbRB#vs28Zl...SJs6aBB8NdGPAQ Could you please tell me what is wrong there. Round corners working perfectly but displacement not. I can see that geometry is just getting higher but not displaced according to map I applied.
    Displacement is a float attribute so will connect by default to Alpha attribute, so don't forget to enable "alpha is luminance" in the File node, then adjust displacement strength with the Alpha Gain attribute.(or you could instead use one RGB component connected by hand)
    Also I needed to add a bevel to your cube to avoid the breaks at each hard edge because the displacement direction follow the geometric normals (ignoring "round corner" normals)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maya_2020-05-06_12-08-41.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	10876
    Last edited by pascalandre; 6th May, 2020 at 15:11.
    Pascal ANDRE
    --------------------
    Maya 2020.1, Windows 7, 128 GB RAM
    4x GTX 1070, driver 445.87
    --------------------

Thank you so much Andre! I practically lost any hope to get answer Could you please explain how to use RGB component which can be manually connected as you said? Displacement was applied on plane in my scene, cube is just with rounded corners .
    Last edited by shrisha; 9th May, 2020 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by shrisha View Post
    Could you please explain how to use RGB component which can be manually connected as you said? Displacement was applied on plane in my scene, cube is just with rounded corners .
    In node editor you can just expand the compound Out Color then connect the Out Color R to Displacement input.

But what's wrong with the automatic Out Alpha connexion ? it's more handy and allow to adjust displacement with Alpha Gain ( you just need to enable "Alpha is luminance" for bitmap texture).
    Pascal ANDRE
    --------------------
    Maya 2020.1, Windows 7, 128 GB RAM
    4x GTX 1070, driver 445.87
    --------------------