Thread: Single gpu not spinning up

Default Single gpu not spinning up

I don't know if this is an iRay issue at all, but I had a weird occurence.

For "fun" upon starting Rhino up first I thought I would see how rendering would work if I enabled just only 1 of 4 1080ti's, my "4th" one according to iRay. The rendering was so slow I thought the GPU wasn't enabled, but the log showed it was. The fans didn't spin up, it was like the GPU didn't know work was being demanded of it and didn't move out of idle. The same thing happened as I added the "3rd" and "2nd" GPUs until I re-enabled all of them, then if I switched back to one it worked fine. What could that be, a video driver glitch?

That should definitely not happen, while it could be a driver issue I somehow doubt it with 1080 Ti cards assuming you have fairly recent drivers. Which version of Iray for Rhino are you using and which driver version?

Does it also happen if you set it to one GPU then restart Rhino and try again?

I'm running still the special build I got for that curves issue, and nvidia driver 447.75.

Doing a bit more testing to see if this is 'really' happening and not just that it takes a minute for cooling to kick in with just one GPU working.

Yes on further testing I was probably just flabbergasted at how slow 1 gpu is vs 4(I didn't think it was quite so linear,) and it maybe takes a while to need cooling if it's the '4th' one that mostly sits doing nothing. False alarm then!
    Last edited by jcarruthers; 9th April, 2020 at 10:30.