Thread: VMaterials compatibility with iray server

Default VMaterials compatibility with iray server

When rendering on the iray server (either streaming or sending to the queue) any Nvidia vMaterials in the scene do not work, and appear to render with a black image.

Any tips on how to properly get these materials to display?

Which application are you using? Also are you modifying the vMaterials at all when using them or just using them as is?

Have very similar issue. What should I do?

Which application are you using with Iray Server?

Hi Paul,

I'm using Iray Server with Iray v2.1 for 3ds Max 2020. I'm trying to use the vMaterials as is, and the library is saved to C:\Users\Username\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials on both my personal computer and the server computer. I've attached images of the error I receive when trying to use the vmaterial as the floor surface, and an image of the scene when rendered on the server with the error, vs. rendered locally with the material displaying correctly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iray server error.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	10822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	material from server.jpg 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	10823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	material from local.jpg 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	10824

Do you still see the same issue with Iray for 3ds max 2.2 and Iray Server 2.57?

There is an issue with vMaterials and Iray Server which I am checking on the status of but it would be good to know if you still see this in the latest versions. When we tested we only saw the issue when actually modifying the materials not when just using them straight from the library.

I currently have Iray for 3ds Max 2.1 and Iray Server 2.55. It's a fairly tedious process to get everyone in my office updated at the same time, so we haven't moved forward to 2.2 and 2.57 yet. If you think that updating may solve the known issue, I'll try that. If there is a different issue that you think may be worth looking into, please let me know what can be done.

I think it is likely you are affected by the same issue I am referring to. I am checking this with NVIDIA, if so this won't be addressed until the next Iray release which I don't have a specific timeframe on as yet.

Thanks for the help - Please let me know what you hear from Nvidia regarding the issue.