Thread: Freezing When Opening Matl. Editor During Iray Interactive Rendering

Default Freezing When Opening Matl. Editor During Iray Interactive Rendering

When I open Material Editor during an active IRay Interactive window, Max becomes unresponsive for an indefinite amount of time. I'm trying to keep that in mind and try not to open the Material Editor while Interactive Window is open, but forget from time to time.
    It can become alive again but it usually takes so long that I need to terminate to go on working.

Is there any workaround, like assigning the Material Editor rendering to the CPU? However slow it would be, it will still be more efficient.

My GPU is a 11GB RTX 2080 TI and CPU is i7 3930K. There is 24GB of ram on the system.

It's not a real solution to the issue, but you might try to disable rendering of the previews in the slate editor by clicking the icon in bottom right corner (as indicated in the image below).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disable rendering.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	10770

Open the material editor and open any bitmap as soon as you open max ( before you render). Once you do it once, you'll be able to open during interactive rendering. Just needs to load once first.

Thank you both for your response. I can't test right now but I'm somewhat sure that at least once I have opened the material editor, without freezing (at least had occasions of releasing from freezing) and I presume, this issue is different from the "first loading" problem. Most of my Iray sessions end with such freezing at one point and terminating the app. May be I need to replace the DDR3 system.

Nevertheless, I'll try when ı get to work.