Thread: mdl export/import issue

Default mdl export/import issue

Hello guys,
    I made a shader using Velvet base. On the picture bellow you can see how it looks and the maps which I use in the shader.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	10760

Then I export as mdl file the shader and after import it looks completely different. Look at the picture bellow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	10761

How you can see the shader looks very blurry and the additional map which I put in the Normal Bump is missing.
    Can anybody tell where I am wrong or what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

I found the blurry problem, after import in unknown reason in bitmap/coordinates tiling is scaled down by 100.
    I think this is a bug.

Hi Angel,

I've been looking into this and it looks as though the issue is related to the 3ds Max system units. Iray itself always works in metres, so if the Max system units are anything other than metres, we have to convert things before we push them into Iray. But once everything is inside Iray itself, any information about the original system units is lost.

When we export materials to MDL, this is done directly from the Iray database, which has no information about the system units, so we just push out the texture scales directly. When we import MDL materials then we make the assumption that the texture scales stored in the MDL are in metres, and if the current 3ds Max System Units are different, we convert them before pushing the imported material into Iray.

So the problem is that only one of these operations is taking the system units into account. It's not clear at this point if this is something that can be fixed or if it is just an unfortunate limitation, but I have logged a case to look at this.

In your case I suspect your system units are centimetres, which explains the factor of 100 difference. If you switch your system units to metres before you export the MDL material then this should work fine, although I realise that switching system units in an existing scene is not generally recommended.

Michael

Hey Michael,
    Thank you for the answer.
    Yes, we are using cm as main units. Converting system units to meters won't be the the nicest solution, Anyway I'll check it.
    What about, additional bump map?

Angel

Hi Angel,

Sorry I missed the part about the additional bump map. This parameter is not supported so won't have been having any effect anyway. This is why it was not included in the export.

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

Hey Michael,
    There is another issue. I send the mdl files to the developers department and they return me than they are tried loading the mdl in Iview 2019.1.4 (Iray viewer, latest version) and they wouldn't load. There was an incompatibility with some of the parameters, They had to modify the .mdl files slightly to get them to load. The errors where:
    - "AnisotropicConductor_2_1" has no "Normal" parameter
    - "LwBaseGeometry" has no "DoubleSided" parameter

Thanks in advance.
    Angel
    Last edited by angel_dc; 18th October, 2019 at 06:53.

Hi Angel,

I'm sot sure who you sent the files to, but it sounds like they are using outdated versions of our core mdl. Possibly due to using an old version of the NVIDIA Material Exchange package, which may have been installed alongside vMaterials. They would need to update these.

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks