Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest pack - is there any tricks

Default Forest pack - is there any tricks

Is there any tricks to make Forest pack work with Iray?

it works with iray+.

cheers
    thorsten
    Infinity Vision Home: https://www.infinity-vision.de

Only some plants come in with actual textures applied. Try bring in the preset gravel - come in White. When they do come in with the textures, it's just a standard material and won't convert to a Iray material with Iray scene converter. They just look flat with standard materials. To me that's not working. What am I missing?

If only you could get a v-ray to Iray material converter - now that would be amazing!!!
    Last edited by Mrtangocharlie7; 28th August, 2019 at 20:47.

Unfortunately, Forest pack does not work 100%

Unfortunately, many presets und objects do not work at all

I have already written that several times, hoping that it will eventually be 100% compatible with IRAY +

Regards Bernd

Thanks Bernd for your honest reply. It is a shame. It's even more of a shame that you can't bring a forest object in as a standard material and convert it. I feel like Iray + for max is very much a side project/ hobby. I would love to be able to use this on a more professional level.

i have experienced white gravel as well. the solution for me was to un-hide and un-freeze the forest templates layer after you create it. then you can change materials to iray materials and save that gravel-only scene as a separate max file that you can use anytime in the future.

here's some screen shots and tips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest materials.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	983.7 KB 
ID:	10752

Hi there, is there anyway to get forest color map working with iray?
    Even basic grass that will render with iray only uses one of the many textures. Is there a work around to get a texture variance?

Hi,

Unfortunately no, at the moment there is no workaround for this.

The root cause of this is that the MDL material format (that Iray uses) is not programmable and can only support fixed values for parameters. The result of this is that random colour variations can only be supported by creating multiple materials (and multiple copies of the material textures) in memory, which will very quickly exhaust the available memory. Having said that, it should be possible to support pure texture variations without colour variations, as this would only require a limited number of materials to be created. This is not currently supported, but I can add this as a feature request.

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

sometimes i use two or three clumps of grass, each with an overal mix of color variation in relation to each other, and then 2 or 3 individual blade colors per clump. then in forest pro, i will add all three clumps and go under distribution and use "diversity", clusters and set size roughness blurry edge noise to get some patches and areas of different colors. you can also set % for each of the 3 clumps to get more or less of one of the colors. so say "dark green" is 66% "medium green" is 33% and "brown" is 10% or whatever.