Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iRay server on Google Compute VM not working

I am referring to the ones on the migenius website here:

https://www.migenius.com/benchmarks

There is a description at the bottom of the page of what the benchmark actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    On upload, obviously we can't influence cloud provider upload speed, however I don't see this issue on all providers, on Nimbix for example we don't see it as a general issue (provided the client-side connection is fast enough). On Nimbix we offer a pre-configured Iray Server application which can be seen being used with DAZ3D in this video.

Of course, it will never compete with local rendering for startup time unless you have already run the scene at least once (in which case it will be entirely cached and not uploaded at all). However note that the caching is not a naive full scene cache, it caches the individual elements (even ignoring their names). So if you use a texture in many scenes it does not get uploaded again, even if in a different scene (assuming you actually persist the cache to disk).
    Do you have a guess as to why uploads to some cloud vm's are too slow to make remote rendering feasible?
    The 2 vm providers I have tried so far both had this issue. I'm usually getting at least 10Mbit/sec upload, so it's not a bottleneck on my end. At least nothing that would explain the horrible upload times I have experienced so far.
    Google Cloud won't even let you address issues with their products unless you purchase their support, so I'm hoping that you may have a better clue?

I am not aware of any general issues however note that we rarely use Windows in the cloud and definitely never use RDP for file transfer. It could be ingress speed is limited somehow but I am afraid you would need to talk to Google about that or try to find information on the various forums discussing it.

Thanks Paul.
    I've used RDP as an example, since it's the only other way to test upload speeds for GC.
    I already know that uploads from DAZ via the bridge take forever.

I'll try pushing a scene to the VM via iRay for Maya to see if that goes any faster, but I'm not holding my breath.

A v100 is the best choice on Nimbix it would seem?

I am please to report that IFM does not have the same crawling upload speeds to my VM as the DAZ bridge.
    It's not systemic, but rather another shortcoming of DAZ.
    That's a start!

On your question about V100 on Nimbix, our benchmark site gives the performance numbers for those, you can divide through by the pricing to get the price/performance. If you only care about cost this is going to be the metric that matters. Obviously the V100 will have the best performance and actually right now also the best price/performance. However you may have issues with the newest Iray versions on the V100 on Nimbix due to the driver being older. Nimbix are working on that update but I don't have a schedule yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    On your question about V100 on Nimbix, our benchmark site gives the performance numbers for those, you can divide through by the pricing to get the price/performance. If you only care about cost this is going to be the metric that matters. Obviously the V100 will have the best performance and actually right now also the best price/performance. However you may have issues with the newest Iray versions on the V100 on Nimbix due to the driver being older. Nimbix are working on that update but I don't have a schedule yet.
    Thanks for the feedback, Paul.