Thread: Iray Section bug?

Default Iray Section bug?

There seems to be something funny going on with the Iray Section. It seems to work successfully on the first try, but when you then turn it off after rendering once, it stays on in the rendering. After closing and reopening the max file, the iray section then works correctly again for one rendering.

Hi Jack,

Can you give more information on exactly how you are doing this, in particular how you are turning the section plane "off"? I presume you are using the "On" tickbox on the section plane object paramaters, but when I try this it seems to be working fine for me. Is this an Active Shade render or Production render? Are you closing and re-opening the frame buffer, or leaving it open? Which frame buffer are you using?

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

Sure, I use the tickbox in the iray section parameters to turn it on and off. I'm using the iray frame buffer to render. And I'm stopping the rendering, then turning it on and off, and rerendering. I also always have clip light checked and have multiple iray sections in the scene. Sometimes I have more than one turned on and sometimes it's just one section turned on.

I'm also one version behind (2.0) not 2.0.1. I can upgrade to see if it's still doing it- but didn't see this in the release notes.

Hi,

I'm afraid I still can't reproduce the bug. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be a general issue. Can you give a more details set of reproduction steps, or perhaps provide a problem scene?

Thanks,
    Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

Hi Michael,

Okay I downloaded the newest version of Iray (2.0.1) on 3ds Max 2019. Workflow: Open scene with both photometric lights and environment lighting, create section, turn on clip light checkbox, move into position and render. While rendering in active shade, I can move section all around, and change settings no problem- everything seems to work correctly. I then stop the rendering and rerender the same exact scene. While rendering in active shade, I can change the clip light checkbox on and off and it seems to work. However, the on and off check box doesn't work- the section is still cutting even when the "on" checkbox is unchecked. I can move the section down (-z) but when I move it up (+z), it doesn't move past the original z position. I then move it down (-z) and uncheck the "on" checkbox and the section still is rendering but back in the original position.

Hope this helps- I can send a model if you still can't reproduce.

Thanks,
    Jack