Thread: GPU appears to clock low while rendering (GTX 1060, 3ds Max 2017, Win7 64bit)

Default GPU appears to clock low while rendering (GTX 1060, 3ds Max 2017, Win7 64bit)

Hello Iray community!

I've recently started using iray with 3ds Max 2017 SP3 (autodesk student license). I downloaded from the the "NVIDIA Mental Ray and IRay renderering plugin" for 3ds Max SP3 from the autodesk support website using and installed it successfully. The plugin works as intended, as I set the number of CPU's to 0 (zero), and the renderer still produces an image, while at the same time I can observe high (60-70%) GPU utilization in the "HWMonitor" utility. Up to this point, iray works fine for me.

However, and this is the point of my question, I can see that in the same "HWMonitor" utility reports GPU clocks of ~570 MHz while rendering, and that is not the clock that the GPU is meant to run at. It's rated at 1500+ MHz, and can be overclocked to 2000+ MHz on water cooling.

Hence, I'd like to ask the following questions:

1. Is there any information on whether iray is meant to run the GPU at its full clock? I.e. the clock that the GPU would run at in a video game when at 90 - 100%.

2. Is GPU utilization of 60-70% normal for iray? Why doesn't it use the complete 100%, is that maybe because silicon containing functionality such as ROP's, textures etc. isn't in use? (I understand that there are different strategies to measuring the load of a CPU or GPU, but still, I'm curious as to what exactly does iray load inside a CUDA-capable NVIDIA GPU.)

SW / HW specs follow:

3ds Max 2017 SP3 (Student Licence)
    NVIDIA mental ray and iray plugin for 3ds Max SP3
    Windows 7 64 bit

i7 3930k @ 4 GHz
    16 GB RAM @ 2000 MHz, dual channel
    ASUS GTX 1060 Turbo 6gb, @ stock clock

Thanks for developing a great renderer for free!

Hi Ignacio,

This support forum is for the Iray for 3ds Max plugin developed by Lightworks, not the older NVIDIA plugin you are referring to.

MIchael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBellamy View Post
    Hi Ignacio,

This support forum is for the Iray for 3ds Max plugin developed by Lightworks, not the older NVIDIA plugin you are referring to.

MIchael
    Hello Michael,

Thank you for the fast reply.

Does the lightworks plugin differ significantly from the NVIDIA one? Do you think it's possible to provide an estimate for the reason of the described behavior based on your experience with the NVIDIA plugin?

Is it still possible to get support (somewhere, not necessarily in the iray plugins forum) for the NVIDIA plugin?

HI Ignacio,

Iray doesn't always use 100% of the GPU and various factors can influence this, such as if the CPU is also used as a render resource, or if you're using multiple GPUs at the same time (especially if they are mismatched). Particular scene setups, or even the size of the render canvas size, can also affect this.

Also it can depend which mode Iray is running in. In "Interactive" mode the emphasis is on fast feedback and interactivity, rather than raw render performance. I can't comment on the NVIDIA integration, but in Iray for 3ds Max we use this mode when rendering in Active Shade. If you instead do a Production render then we use "Batch" mode, which sends back fewer render updates to the screen (at a rate that is user-configurable) and will make better use of the GPU power for rendering.

As for the NVIDIA Iray plugin. My understanding is that this was last available for 3ds Max 2018 and is no longer a live product. You may be able to find legacy support on the NVIDIA ARC forum, or by contacting NVIDIA directly.

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks

You can also download the Iray for 3ds Max plugin for a 1 month trial for free, so it might be worth checking it out to see if you get the under-clocking issue then too.
    It gives access to a much later version of Iray: denoiser support; live geometry, material and lighting updates etc etc

Regards

Graeme