Thread: "PCB" plastic shader

Default "PCB" plastic shader

I'm working on reflectors/diffusers for a "car" model and I'm trying to get the effect of an array of LEDs that make an almost continuous light bar diffused through a piece of plastic. The best effect I get--lots of scattering--is with the PCB material from vMaterials, which is good, but how would I make the same thing using the base shaders? I've tried thick translucency, and it's in the ballpark but whatever numbers I've tried don't give as strong an effect.

Have you adjusted the Volume reference distance parameter? This one is important for solid objects as it determines at which point of travel within the volume the Volume Color will be reached. It will have a big effect on the strength of the translucency depending on the scene scale.

Yeah, I guess the thick_translucent shader was the way to go to match the PCB or even make a more exaggerated effect. Now out of academic curiosity I'm wondering about the difference between thick_translucent and the flex_material for this sort of thing, why I can't get them to match up, since I thought it was a "do-anything" material.

Did you have the diffuse color as black? The thick_translucent has just a fresnel reflection layer and the volume transmission. You should be able to get pretty close with flex_material as long as you don't have a diffuse term in there and you match the other things (including ior since that is used for the fresnel term). If you use an abbe number however this is not something that flex_material has.

There are some PCB materials in the vMaterials library, not sure if those are suitable for your needs.