Thread: Rendering setup of character models

Default Rendering setup of character models

So this is kind of a noob workflow question. I'm testing out some ready-posed people and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use all the textures provided to get the different parts of the body shaded properly. The model is a single mesh and I get a diffuse map, normal map, and--this is what I need help with how to use--4 or 5 masks that it appears you use to isolate the skin from the clothing from the hair, etc, to apply different effects. I'm not sure how I can assemble a shader to actually use all of those to get different levels of glossiness, maybe have some SSS on the skin, etc. It seems like the "simplest" approach would be to combine them in Photoshop to make one map for each desired channel in the flex_material, but that seems rather cumbersome to tweak.

You can use the Surface Blender materials if you want to blend/mask between two different materials. For translucency/sss in general you should be able to achieve this using the Transmission section and volume settings for the flex material however it is not specifically designed for skin so might need some experimentation.

Do you know what software the models can from? Iray is actually used in some of the popular character modelling tools like DAZ Studio and iClone Character Creator so there might be more direct ways to handle if it came from there. Otherwise what renderer are the maps said to be targetting?

Thanks...well this particular one I'm testing out seems to have been made in Max, targeting V-Ray originally.