Thread: render times tips

Default render times tips

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to decrease render times when iray is translating the scene, mainly at big scenes, just the spent time before start to render.

Regards,
    DV
    Last edited by bywex; 7th November, 2018 at 13:01.
    www.davidvercher.es

That would be great, but there is no simple way to accelerate translation.

The best option would be to do the translation multi-threaded, but DG accesses are not thread-safe.

Another option would be to cache translation results of parts of the scene, which don't change often. One example would be "sticky textures", which will stay in the Iray database until forced to be reread or removed from scene. Of course, this only helps if there are a lot of huge textures.

I am open to other suggestions and thoughts.

thanks Thomas, I guess you are talking about scripting techniques, no?
    www.davidvercher.es

No, caching translation results has to be done by Iray for Maya itself. There is no way, that a user can script (MEL, Pymel, Python) it.

By the way, caching only accelerates a rendering restart, e.g. starting IPR a second time.
    Does your workflow allow you to keep IPR running or are there reasons for stopping and starting IPR again?

I normally use batch render, are you suggesting me that I use the ipr to render sequences?
    www.davidvercher.es

Okay, you are talking about final rendering using command line rendering, i.e. the Render/Render.exe command of Maya.

If you render animations, don't render single frames and have a look into the log. "Fast Animation" has to be enabled (default in version 2.1). This avoids building the Iray database and acceleration structures from scratch and only applies the changes between the two frames. This is like selecting a different frame while IPR is running.

Feel free to send me the log and I will look into it.

Yes! Fast animation is always enabled

I normally don't worry about textures size, mainly using cpu engines.. but using iray, I'm decreasing a lot the translating time, just scaling down the textures from 4k to 2k.. it's a good point for me, until I could buy a new graphic card...

I will try more features, with my next projects and post my doubts.

Can I ask you about the mdl materials library ordering? Are you guys working on a search feature to find materials on different directory than default location? I installed several nvidia libraries but the material list it's a bit mess and I would like to repath just my prefered materials... But now I cant' move them because I lost the path of some of them on my created scenes.

I know that we can save material presets at user category... but sometimes doesn't work fine, I've lost channels from materials when I've saved some of them at user list, channels like bump or secondary scatter... Maybe I'm doing something wrong.. But in general, the material library at attribute editor is a bit messy and it takes a lot of space at UI.

Thanks in advance!
    www.davidvercher.es

As you know there are three locations where mdl files are looked for: SYSTEM (for all users on a workstation), USER (only for this user), PLUGIN (in the plugin folder - if the plugin is installed on a network share you also have access from different systems). On scene open Iray for Maya tries to find mdl materials, which are not already loaded, by searching all three locations. Be aware the folder hierarchy is essential. This means, that it is possible to move a "standalone" mdl file (no other local mdls are referenced) from one location to another as long as it stays in the same subfolder relative to the root. Currently there are no plans to extend this. "Repathing" might be difficult, since most libraries have some initial material models in different files, which are more or less only parameterized for the visible materials.

There are also no concrete plans to develop a search feature. Keep in mind that the ifmMDLMaterial uses lazy loading. MDL files are only loaded if requested. However, without loading the files it can't know which materials are in there. There is some ongoing work at NVIDIA for archives with content information. But that would only help in case of these archives.

Do you have examples for the create preset issues? I have to mention, that the next version will change this feature to an MDL Module export. Thus you can save multiple mdl materials in a single module. May be this will help you to save your preferred materials to only a few files.

Hi Thomas!

I will wait for next version to check the new mdl module export I'm interested to create my own mdl library, It would be great a system to hide the non using materials and reorganize in just one category.

I go to look for wrong created presets to show you

Thanks!
    www.davidvercher.es