Thread: Material animation support (for procedural maps as well)

Default Material animation support (for procedural maps as well)

Hello,

Can we please have material animation support? Right now I can't even animate phase value of iray noise maps. Then it becomes useless.

I have to animate opacity but I can't unless I render out color animation in AE and load image sequence. But using iray noise maps and want to animate them, it's not possible.

I would really appreciate if material animation gets first update in next release. It is very much needed to be able to use it for animation.

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Jignesh

We understand your issue. Thanks for raising it. Yes, this item is on our future feature list and is something we've wanted to include for a while. Unfortunately, this is not a trivial task (for underlying technical issues with 3ds max) so it's not something we can just 'fix' quickly. We are looking at a solution but I'm afraid this will not be in the short term--and I don't have a date when it will be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    We understand your issue. Thanks for raising it. Yes, this item is on our future feature list and is something we've wanted to include for a while. Unfortunately, this is not a trivial task (for underlying technical issues with 3ds max) so it's not something we can just 'fix' quickly. We are looking at a solution but I'm afraid this will not be in the short term--and I don't have a date when it will be added.
    Thanks for quick reply. I think for now I will keep up with animated rendered bitmap sequence. (it's not bad either)

I also posted in other thread but didn't reply so will ask here.

Does iray+ do any adaptive sampling? (for rendering speed)

Also can we have please capping support for iray+ section helper object in next release? (I do a lot of section renders as well)

Section capping is on the roadmap--there was a bug blocking this that has just been addressed.
    Not sure _exactly_ what you mean by adaptive sampling--for speed and efficiency on GPUs, all pixels in the image are 'visited' each iteration--Iray is a progressive path tracer so each pixel is refined every iteration. There are no plans to change this method but we are always looking at making it faster! Obviously, denoising plus Interactive mode are fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Section capping is on the roadmap--there was a bug blocking this that has just been addressed.
    Not sure _exactly_ what you mean by adaptive sampling--for speed and efficiency on GPUs, all pixels in the image are 'visited' each iteration--Iray is a progressive path tracer so each pixel is refined every iteration. There are no plans to change this method but we are always looking at making it faster! Obviously, denoising plus Interactive mode are fastest.
    Thanks! look forward to capping support for section helpers.

For adaptive sampling, here is the FStorm render adaptive sampling video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NqPGuxLBXw

And many other renderer uses adaptive sampling method. (like mentalray unified sampling?) . So it creates/adds samples where it is required and then stop adding based on noise threshold reached?

I would really love to see the ability to load video files as materials. I'm sure you use to be able to do this in mental ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtangocharlie7 View Post
    I would really love to see the ability to load video files as materials. I'm sure you use to be able to do this in mental ray.
    why not use imagesequence in 3ds max? I use image sequence now with iray+ and it works smooth. I just render out all procedural maps now or rendering out opacity white to black maps. But it has to be tileable.