Thread: New Video Card RTX series

Default New Video Card RTX series

Can you use iray from the release direct next of RTX series? Or does it take period of time after release?

According to the Max forum it will run fine--I guess it must have been a quirk of older CUDA stuff that they had to be updated for every hardware version?--a timeframe for actually talking extra advantage of the "RTX" architecture is not known yet...which is interesting as a lot of the analysis so far on the gaming side is skeptical of the actual real-world impact. I won't be trading in my 1080ti's until I see benchmarks showing improvement beyond simply having 20% more CUDA cores.

Just to note that I am not expecting the current version of Iray for Rhino to work out of the box with the Turing/RTX cards, usually it is still the case that each new architecture comes with a bump in CUDA version that forces a recompile. It may be different in this case if the cards run CUDA 9.x applications fine but I am guessing we'll need to go to CUDA 10.x.

As you guess, taking advantage of RT Core is a different story since this depends on using OptiX and the right parts of OptiX which is something that will take longer to have in Iray. There are no set timeframes for this yet, just like the other rendering vendors, it is a non-trivial amount of work to integrate, particularly to get the most out of it.

However we would certainly plan to have an Iray for Rhino version that can at least use the CUDA part of Turing/RTX as soon as possible.