Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iray for Rhino 1.5 build 367 Released

If I simply pan in some other view, which is not a change to anything, the iray viewport update gets interrupted and restarts. This doesn't happen in V5, and V6 only does this nonsense while it's rendering passes, once it's done it will just sit there until an actual change is made.

Also in V6, restarting the iRay preview due to a view change or something seems to frequently result in an annoying flickering of the viewport, it flashes all grey, that I don't recall from any even heavier models in V5.

From the point of view of how Rhino notifies us of something changing, panning and zooming the other views is a change. In V6 the API provided by Rhino for viewport rendering changed completely so we had to rewrite all of that code. We'll need to look into whether there is a way to filter out the other viewport change events from Rhino while retaining the other changes, I would guess that it will be possible but we haven't investigated that yet.

For the flickering, do you mean constantly or just at the very start? If there is any way to capture a video it would be helpful as while there is an initial grey frame on first start it should not reappear unless switching back and forth.

Again the flickering seems to be different depending on if it's in the middle of its passes or not, at least for the case of rotating the iRay view. If it is, I (usually?) get one flash as I start rotating and another when I let go of the mouse button. If it's finished its passes I get the latter flash only. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    From the point of view of how Rhino notifies us of something changing, panning and zooming the other views is a change. In V6 the API provided by Rhino for viewport rendering changed completely so we had to rewrite all of that code. We'll need to look into whether there is a way to filter out the other viewport change events from Rhino while retaining the other changes, I would guess that it will be possible but we haven't investigated that yet.
    Well it shouldn't be a gigantic fix, since it only does this while its rendering, if it's done it doesn't react to the events, unless it's supposed to do so and isn't.

We are looking into it right now, and hope it's not too significant. We have had a few other things that should have been simple but have been significantly complicated by the Rhino API though. Fingers crossed on this one though.

As I guessed it was a bit more involved that suspected however we should have a fix for the next release. If you want an earlier version to test let me know on PM.

EDIT: That is, for the continuous updating when navigating non-Iray views, we don't yet reproduce the flickering one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    As I guessed it was a bit more involved that suspected however we should have a fix for the next release. If you want an earlier version to test let me know on PM.

EDIT: That is, for the continuous updating when navigating non-Iray views, we don't yet reproduce the flickering one.
    Have you tested on a multi gpu setup?

I moved the project back to V5 and the viewport was a ton more responsive. Still has that crash after rendering, though.

The crash has already been fixed and will be in the next build. For general responsiveness that isn't something we're likely to address quickly since it would require more analysis on our side. The viewport API in Rhino 6 is completely different to Rhino 5 so it had to be implemented in a different way. Having said that we did not notice any lack of responsiveness on our side during testing.

We do test on multi-GPU setups but not specifically for the issues you reported here (since all but the flickering issue appear with one GPU). We still don't get the flickering issue so as I mentioned before, if there is anyway to get a video of that it would help our developers a lot.

WarnerCex Guest

Default Iray for Rhino 1 5 build 367 Released

Rhino just released Version 6, is Thea going to add an update which will work with Rhino 6?