Thread: Material errors & random re-assignments

Default Material errors & random re-assignments

Hey -
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced Iray-RH throwing an error that results in a duplicate material (by name, at least) being generated in the Materials palette, but rendering in some sort of default gray (in both real-time preview & renders)?

I've had this recurring, but intermittent problem since 2016 in the various versions of Iray released since then.
    I've recently started using blocks, as Iray formerly didn't implement them so well, but is getting better, but I've experienced this issue both with block geometry and non-block geometry, so can't say it's related to blocks exclusively.

Here's a screenshot of the Materials Palette:
    (w/ orange indicating duplicated "error" materials, and green indicating some of their valid brethren (others didn't fit on the screen):
    Attachment 10402

Thx,
    -dt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nonMaterials.jpg  

Definitely seen that. Haven't been able to pin down what makes them appear. Not even sure if it's really an iRay problem or Rhino messing up materials, in turn "spawning" them.

"Round-tripping" geometry between V5 and V6 will certainly do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarruthers View Post
    Definitely seen that. Haven't been able to pin down what makes them appear. Not even sure if it's really an iRay problem or Rhino messing up materials, in turn "spawning" them.

"Round-tripping" geometry between V5 and V6 will certainly do it.
    Thx for the confirmation, jcarruthers!

Yes, I have recently subjected some (or, by now--all) geometry to "round-tripping" as you say, in an attempt at side-stepping some other RH6 errors/issues.
    But I experienced these material errors previously before using exclusively RH5.
    Could be Rhino... def using blocks makes it more involved to revert to valid materials.
    My sense is it's some combination of RH+Iray that does it, as I've had random crashes or other unusual behavior when Iray is installed/active that I never experience w/o it.

Anyone else?

Hello,

New here. I tried SpaceClaim as a tool for Rhino. But it was the same - failed to complete edits to models (perhaps due to the round trip geometry integration as well).