Thread: Luminance (cd/m^2) Analysis

Default Luminance (cd/m^2) Analysis

Hello,

Are there any plans to add ability for luminance analysis in future versions? Illuminance pseudo-color analysis with activeshade mode is nice, but it would be very useful to add luminance analysis to the options of the program. Most other architectural lighting software have this feature, and it would be great to have in an activeshade mode.

If not, does anyone have ideas for a workaround? I see there's options for saving a rendering as a .hdr or .pic file that then could potentially be opened in a program like wxfalsecolor for luminance analysis. I have yet to try this though, and am unsure if it would work or not. I appreciate any tips and input!

-Riley

Hi Riley,

Although we have no concrete plans to add this for a future version, it has been requested before and it is on our list of feature requests. Obviously the more requests we get for a feature, the higher it raises in priority, so thanks for letting us know you want this.

In the meantime, yes saving out a standard render to HDR will give correct luminance values (provided that the lights are specified in correct values also). Note that you will have to disable the tone mapper for this to work correctly though. Note also that this will give you a three-channel image (RGB) and that you will need to process this to get a single luminance value. I'm not familiar with wxfalsecolor, but I'm presuming that this will handle this?

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. With this process, will the gamma settings of my rendering affect the values? If so, what settings should be used?

Thanks,
    Riley

Hi Riley,

I don't believe your gamma settings should have any effect when rendering out to floating point image formats (HDR or EXR). I've just done a quick test and see no differences to the output images even when I set a different override gamma value on the file output dialogue.

Michael
    QA Engineer, Lightworks