Thread: Rhino Blocks & Iray Materials - Rendering Issues

Default Rhino Blocks & Iray Materials - Rendering Issues

Hello everyone !

I'm new to this forum and english is not my native langage, i'll do my best .

I use the latest update of Rhino 5 with Iray and I love it.

I use blocks in my projects for various objects (tables, chairs...). I usually assign Iray materials to surfaces/polysrfs... before creating blocks.

However I sometimes need to change materials inside blocks after their creation.

- After editing the block (like changing my wooden table to a glass table, or else) Iray doesn't update the material change correctly, it renders the concerned blocks with the materials assigned before their creation, as if no change had been made.

- When rendering and editing the block at the same time (the Rhino block window is showing) Iray renders the materials correctly, but only for the selected instance.

I've managed a way around this issue by saving my .3dm model and re-opening it in Rhino, Iray then renders the materials correctly for each block instances.

Am I doing this the wrong way ? Is this a bug or a future feature with Iray ? I'd love Iray to manage and render correctly my material updates inside blocks.

Thank you in advance for your answers !

Glad to hear you like Iray for Rhino.

When you say Iray isn't updating, do you mean the only the live view isn't updating or it also doesn't update even if you restart the rendering? Some changes may not be possible to pick up while the rendering is running, so I just want to check this first.

I don't work much with the live view because my GPU is not very powerfull. I'm talking about rendering in the render window. Sorry, I did not think about specifying which rendering method I was using.

I'm gonna post a walkthrough of my method with screenshots soon.
    Last edited by Niluje; 8th January, 2018 at 11:36.

I'm creating a blank project in Rhino, Iray is on, no materials in the scene.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	10150

I create 3 cubes on top of each others, assigning a different material to each cube, the object is not a block yet, just cubes. I start a new render : all seems to be fine.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	10151

I create a block from those three cubes, choose an origin point and duplicate the block, start a new render : so far so good.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	515.4 KB 
ID:	10152

Inside the block editing window I assign a new material to the middle cube. While editing the block, I start a new render and it looks correct to me, I'm working on the source object, I wasn't expecting Iray to update the changes in all instances of the block, since I didn't validate the editing.

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	10153

But now, the block has been modified and validated (I click on OK, I don't close the block editing window) : I start a new render but Iray doesn't update the changes i've made in materials inside the block, not even on the one I modified.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	10154

If I choose to edit another instance of the block and start a new render : again the block beeing edited is correctly rendered but it's instances are not.

Attachment 10155

Different ways of solving this issue for me are :

- Exploding all the concerned blocks into simple objects. However doing this I'm loosing all the benefits of working with blocks, so it's not a very good option, just a desperate way to obtain the render I'm looking for.

- Save my .3dm file and re-open it, then the changes are correctly displayed while rendering. However the workflow here is erratic, I can't really work that way either.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	466.1 KB 
ID:	10156

Thanks if you can save me, thanks if you can't
    Last edited by Niluje; 8th January, 2018 at 14:03.

Thank you for the detailed reproduction steps. I have created a bug entry in our system on this side for further investigation. If you need to refer to it in any future communication the id is RHIN-6. I can't provide an estimate on the timeframe for a fix at the moment however since it can work when the file is saved I suspect it is likely something we can address.

Thank you