Thread: Cannot Connect to Server

Default Cannot Connect to Server

Using 3DS MAX 2018
    Iray Plugin 1.6
    Iray Server - Newest Release

Just trying to test Iray server. Have it loaded, running and logged in on my remote machine.

At local machine attempt to connect via network render. Error message says cannot connect to server, check address.

I've put in the address as the remote machines ethernet IP.
    The log in and password the same as for the IRAY server.

Although I have no idea if it wants the name of the computer and password.

Or the IP address to the Iray Server?

I've read the document released with Iray Server. Was clearly not written for a CGI artist.

I'm a designer. Not an IT technician.

Help Please. How is this thing suppose to work.

While it was made for the pre-configured Iray Server as a Service offering (which you may also want to check out if you need extra resources), you might find this video helpful in seeing how Iray Server is used within 3ds max:

https://youtu.be/j688E7WRkgA?t=8m40s

The link above starts at the 3ds max part of the video and was recorded with an older version but the use of Iray Server hasn't changed since then. You can see exactly where it wants the information and what information is needed from there. Basically you can use either the IP address or hostname (either will work), the username and password and that should be all you need.

It sounds like you have already been able to login to the Iray Server web interface is that correct? I ask because the first time you do that it will ask you to agree to the EULA and change the master password and this is required before you can connect.

Naturally it could always be made simpler to use and automated discovery of Iray Servers is something we are hoping to include in the future however for now you do need to tell your Iray plugin where your Iray Server lives and give it the credentials.

One other thing to check, when you ran Iray Server, if you had Windows Firewall turned on (the default in Windows 10 I believe) then you should have seen a pop-up asking whether to allow or block traffic to Iray Server. You will have needed to select Allow otherwise the Firewall will block access from other machines.

Hopefully the video helps but if you still have issues connecting please let us know.

Thanks for the Reply Paul.

This Video shows remote streaming which I cannot use because like most GPU users, I run GTX's not "PRO" cards.

I can check the firewall but very simply I'm not clear as to what user name and password.

Is it the user name and password of the remote render machine?

or

Is it the user name and password used to log in to Iray Server?

I have the same question for the IP address.

Is it the machine or the IRAY Server Address?

Thank you.

Firewall is not the issue.

Later in the video the Queuing use case is shown as well:

https://youtu.be/j688E7WRkgA?t=10m53s

This uses an example of rendering a small animation in queued mode but it works the same for still images.

The username and password needed are those that you use to login to Iray Server, not those of the machine itself.