Thread: iRay seems to mix materials!!!

helder3dbrian Guest

Default iRay seems to mix materials!!!

Hi all,

I'm using 3dsmax 2017 for a while now. First I rendered with iRay for 3dsmax (iRay+) but since the trial license is expired I'm now back to the intergrated iRay.
    I finally got it work with my two GTX1080 (pascal) GPU's but........iray seems to mix materials randomly.....REALLY FRUSTRATING.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170215 render correct.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	8883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170215 render wrong.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	8884
    The only thing i did was isolating the window.....
    I cant go back to 3dsmax2016 cause there is no iRay support for my Pascal cards.

DavidM Guest

This forum is focused on the Iray plugin and the Iray+ and Iray+ Interactive renderers. You may get a better response posting in the iray forum here: https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/forumdisplay.php?156-iray I'll try to help.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you trying to show that the glass is not transparent in the second image? Can you share a small scene that shows the problem?

First I rendered with iRay for 3dsmax (iRay+) but since the trial license is expired I'm now back to the intergrated iRay.
    May I ask for some feedback on why you didn't purchase the plugin?

thorsten hartmann Guest

Hi helder3dbrain,

i agree with you, iray that Comes with 3dsmax2017 is Buggy. I have load a olöd Scene from 3dsmx2106, and in 3dsmax2017 looks 100% different.

@David: I understand some guys that want wait. Because the old iray have some benefit.

- can use Arch&Design
    - can control with string Options Blow, and Degrain
    - can control the Background rendersize

iray+ have other Bugs.

- no save iray object properties
    - Mix-Map not working
    - Colorrection map create very blurry textures
    - Material Edtuor very slow and increase the RAM to over 32 GB, and the System is craching.

iray+ is great, but 100% Production ready is it at this time not. We can say at 3dsmax2017, have we not one working render engine from NVIDIA for 3dsmax2017. Iray and mental ray ist not usable in 3dsmax2017.

mfg
    hot chip
    Last edited by thorsten hartmann; 20th February, 2017 at 09:34.

DavidM Guest

Hi Thorsten,

I appreciate your reports, and I'll work with you to get them logged at NVIDIA and resolved ASAP.

- can use Arch&Design
    - can control with string Options Blow, and Degrain
    - can control the Background rendersize
    I'll log these as desired improvements to the plugin. Regarding Arch & Design, are you dissatisfied with the conversion process to Iray+ Materials?

- no save iray object properties
    - Mix-Map not working
    - Colorrection map create very blurry textures
    - Material Edtuor very slow and increase the RAM to over 340 GB and the System is craching
    I have had some trouble reproducing the Iray properties problem. It works for me, so there may be some subtle difference in our workflows or expectations. I'll need to bother you for some painfully explicit steps to reproduce the issue.

Mix-map and color correction are logged already and awaiting engineering review.

I'm concerned about the Material Editor issue. We fixed a problem in the latest update, and have otherwise been unable to reproduce this. Again, I'd like to impose on you for an example scene and steps. (Please also confirm the plugin version.)

thorsten hartmann Guest

Hi DavidM,

ok, please give me a E-Mail adress and i send a Scene to you per Wetrransfer.

cheers
    thorsten