Thread: Updating native Mental Ray Iray for Pascal GPUs

Phillip Miller Guest

Default Updating native Mental Ray Iray for Pascal GPUs

Here's a guide for updating 3ds Max 2017 so that its native Mental Ray Iray supports Pascal GPUs.

1. First update to 3ds Max 2017 SP3:

2. Once SP3 is installed, remove the Mental Ray rendering plugin that came with 3ds Max 2017.
    Go to your Windows Control Panel, choose to Uninstall a program, and choose:
    NVIDIA mental ray and Iray rendering plugins for 3ds Max 2017

NOTE: Do *NOT* uninstall the feature program listed next to the above:
    NVIDIA mental ray and Iray feature plugins for 3ds Max 2017

3. Then download and install the Mental Ray SP3 update:

You will now be upgraded to mental ray 3.14.1.4, with support for Pascal GPUs.

4. If you have updated to 3ds Max 2017.1, uninstall mental ray as shown in step #2, and for step #3 install the Mental Ray 2017.1 update:

Finally, as always, make sure you are using the latest NVIDIA graphics driver.
    Last edited by Phillip Miller; 3rd February, 2017 at 21:47.

tay.0 Guest

Thank You,

This really helped.

vmierull Guest

This didn't appear to work for me. I tried to install the updates, but when I booted up 3ds Max I received an error message the said that the .dlz files couldn't be found. I tried installing both mental ray updates by removing one and installing the other but that didn't seem to work either.

Edit - I was able to solve my problem by updating to 3ds Max 2017.1
    Last edited by vmierull; 16th March, 2017 at 16:33.

DavidM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vmierull View Post
    Edit - I was able to solve my problem by updating to 3ds Max 2017.1
    I'm glad you got this working.

For the sake of others reading this thread, I would like to point out that you may have been caught by the trap described in the earlier message.

Due to how Autodesk split the installers, there are two similarly named components:
    NVIDIA mental ray and Iray rendering plugins for 3ds Max 2017 <-- yes, uninstall
    NVIDIA mental ray and Iray feature plugins for 3ds Max 2017 <-- do NOT uninstall

It sounds like you may have inadvertently uninstalled the feature plugins which are still required.
    Reinstalling from the Autodesk application installer would have fixed this (as you found with 2017.1)

presence49 Guest

And what's about a Iray for 3dsMax 2016 upload to work with Pascal graphic's card like GTX 1080TI ? I don't want to pay a new 3DSmax 2017. I paid nearly 700 for a GTX 1080 TI yet