Thread: Hair&Fur working: good but really HEAVY at the moment...

gonzohot Guest

Default Hair&Fur working: good but really HEAVY at the moment...

Hi guy's,

So i have made some tests with Iray+ and Hair&fur wich is supported with Iray+ renderer.
    The results: it works but it kind of convert all hair&fur into geometry so it fill the GPU memory very quick... Am i wrong ?

I was also able to use hair&Fur in activeshade mode but it don't work everytime: workflow is to render once with hair&fur rendering as geometry with Iray+ in production mode then switch to activeshade mode and you can see the hair&fur updating when changing point of view or perspective... but sometimes it don't work and i don't know if it's a bug or something that still in developement.

It will be nice to have a full "buffer" working version with activeshade !

Also support for both Hairfarm and Ornatrix pluggins will be highly appreciated ! (I own both that's why i'm asking for the full package!!! )

At the moment rendering in production with "buffer" option works but you pay an heavy price (almost 6000MB of ram used in next image).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alena_Iray02.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	586.9 KB 
ID:	6806

Jay Axe Guest

Hi gonzohot,

Impressive! Yes, converting to polygons is necessary for rendering in Iray.

At the moment rendering in production with "buffer" option works but you pay an heavy price (almost 6000MB of ram used in next image).
    What GPUs are you using? We are always looking for good examples that fill up GPU memory to test with Iray...and give us feedback for improving performance in the ActiveShade window.

You can use the Nvidia Control Panel to "Manage GPU Utilization" and there are tools like perfmon and nv-smi to monitor your memory usage. Try a google search for them.

Thanks for sharing!!
    Jay

Jay Axe Guest

One more quick note...why not post some of your renders in the:

Thread: Iray for 3ds Max - Gallery

Jay