Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Floating licenses: Issues setting up license server

DavidM Guest

We are trying to find the quickest way to reset the server password so that you can resume work on the license server.
    I will contact you via private message with some new information.

craig3d Guest

Hi Guys.

I think Before i go into the troubles I'm having....

(Do i need a floating licence?) I have one machine at work, and one machine at home. I would like to use Iray at work,
    then at 6 oclock, i would like to go home and continue working on that PC, and have the licence active at home.

I do NOT want to use the 2 machines at the same time.

Do i Need a Floating licence to do that?

I am using Iray for Maya, but i dont think that it matters for this question.

Regards
    Craig -
    Last edited by craig3d; 4th July, 2016 at 14:49.

NikNastev Guest

Yes, Floating License is the way for you.
    You will have 1 PC for License server and your 2 working PC's will connect to it. You could use 1 machine at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by craig3d View Post
    Hi Guys.

I think Before i go into the troubles I'm having....

(Do i need a floating licence?) I have one machine at work, and one machine at home. I would like to use Iray at work,
    then at 6 oclock, i would like to go home and continue working on that PC, and have the licence active at home.

I do NOT want to use the 2 machines at the same time.

Do i Need a Floating licence to do that?

I am using Iray for Maya, but i dont think that it matters for this question.

Regards
    Craig -
    Best!
    Nik

DavidM Guest

Floating licenses give you the flexibility of running from any machine on your local network. The obvious benefit is that this frequently means you'll need fewer licenses, due to having fewer systems all using licenses at the same time. A less obvious disadvantage is that setting up and maintaining a license server will require more work. (Take a look at sections 3 and 4 of the License Manager documentation to better understand how the system works.)

When you are working from home, do you have access to the internal network of your office? For example, are you using some sort of VPN connection? You'll likely need some sort of secure connection to the network in order for your home system to see the license server.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

David