Thread: Iray+ MDL and viewport

NikNastev Guest

Default Iray+ MDL and viewport

We need textures in MDL materials to be visible in Shaded mode in 3ds Max viewports. Now MDL materials are shown just as grey colors and it's very hard to work like that when texturing the scene.

Now Show Shaded Material in Viewport is not working. :/

If you can make MDL textures to be visible as Parameters in Material (in Slate Mat Editor) and textures as bitmap blocks - then we could Show those textures in viewports.

In example screenshot (bottom) there are 2 materials - one is MDL (bottom) and top is Iray+ with Bitmap.
    Textures in MDL materials should look like Iray+ Material - connected as Bitmap cards.
    Then 3ds Max will show textures in viewport.

Screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDL_bitmaps.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	6576

BR!
    Nik

Phillip Miller Guest

Hi Nik - is the situation that the MDL material references a bitmap but doesn't use a Max bitmap map type to express it? - and because of that, you can't display the bitmap in the viewport?
    If so, then yes, this is a current limitation.

Our artists haven't been finding it to be much of an issue as they are always working with ActiveShade, which delivers a far more accurate result of the mapping.
    As you probably know, what's shown in the DirectX viewport is just an approximation.

- Phil

NikNastev Guest

Hi Phil,

Yes. Because the current Iray+ integration not expose Bitmaps from MDL materials - 3ds Max can't show them in Viewport (it's like a Black Box for 3ds Max).
    This is Important and Showstopper limitation I think (for me it is showstopper).
    Active Shade (AS) is important and used mostly for creating materials and set lightning, yes. But showing bitmaps in viewport is not only for that.
    Even for tasks as Unwrapping you need to see textures in viewports.
    Or if you open a dense scene and all is gray - what I will need to see which objects have materials and what materials? Fire AS? No, this is slow workflow.

I'm all for using MDL materials, but you need to find solution to fix this limitation in Iray+ integration in 3ds Max and MDL mats.

BR!
    Nik

Phillip Miller Guest

We get what you're saying - it's high on our list of things to improve as soon as we can.

- Phil

NikNastev Guest

Thanks Phil

BR!
    Nik

NikNastev Guest

And please, make sure you put a button next to image path, so we can easy change textures in MDL.

I just started to test MDL in interior scene, and even in simple scene (at the moment) - it's very hard to work with textures in MDL at current stage.
    And what I found is that Iray+ in AS slowdown 3ds Max a lot here - viewport navigation and other tasks. AS is set to use second GPU and GPU that is used by 3ds Max and Windows is not used. Even in that situation 3ds Max is very sluggish.
    My config is 3ds Max 2016 and Windows 10.

Thanks!
    BR!
    Nik

NikNastev Guest

Btw, I'm using latest beta build if that's matter (may be some differences between final build and latest beta).

BR!
    Nik

Jay Axe Guest

HI Nik, there have been some adjustments to the material previews in the release build. Thanks for the comment as we are continually testing the balance of resources for material editors and ActiveShade.

If you find a situation that causes the worst slowdown, please let us know...

Thanks,
    Jay